Nought to 62mph acceleration in 3.7 seconds, top speed 202mph
Extensive use of advanced materials, including Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) construction and Carbon Ceramic Material (CCM) brakes
Production limited to 500 examples
The new LFA marks an important moment in both the history of Lexus and the development of the supercar. A true "clean-sheet" design, the LFA was created by a small, passionate and dedicated team of engineers whose achievement has been to push the boundaries of technology materials and engineering at every stage to produce a car like no other to have carried the Lexus badge.
Constructed using advanced carbon fiber technology, the rear-wheel drive LFA is powered by a bespoke, high- revving 552bhp, 4.8-liter naturally aspirated V10 engine, matched to a rear-mounted six-speed sequential automatic transmission, giving 200mph-plus performance.
Keeping the car's weight to an absolute minimum was one of the defining elements in the development of the LFA and this led to the decision to switch from using aluminium for the car's construction to advanced Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) for the chassis and bodywork.
Moreover, Lexus decided the CFRP structure should be built in-house rather than by a third-party supplier. In doing so, it drew on Toyota Motor Corporation's heritage in textile weaving technology to push the boundaries of its technical abilities, developing new carbon fiber looms and a laser system for monitoring the integrity of the material.
At four times the strength of aluminium, CFRP gives the LFA an exceptionally stiff and strong structure, and also delivers major weight advantages, saving around 100kg on an equivalent aluminium body. CFRP accounts for 65 percent of the body-in-white, with aluminium alloy used for the remaining 35 percent.
The heart of the LFA is a bespoke, naturally aspirated V10 engine that sets new standards for compact dimensions, lightweight architecture and scintillating performance. From the outset it was determined that the engine should have a 4,805cc capacity, developed 552bhp and revved to a wailing 9,000rpm red line.
A 72-degree angle between the cylinder heads is ideal for achieving balance in the engine for exceptionally smooth running, while providing individual, electronically-controlled throttle bodies as each cylinder gives excellent throttle response. This gives searing in-hear acceleration at all engine speeds and in any gear-zero to 62mph takes just 3.7 seconds and maximum speed is 202mph.
The formidable performance of the V10 is managed through an equally advanced transmission, a purpose-designed six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox (ASG) that drives the rear wheels via a limited slip differential. To help achieve the optimum 48:52 front-to-rear weight distribution, it is contained in a transaxle mounted over the rear axle.
The LFA has one of the most advanced and powerful braking systems fitted to any production car. Made of Carbon Ceramic Material (CCM), the front discs are 390mm in diameter and 34mm thick, gripped by six-piston aluminium callipers; the rear discs measure 360mm across, are 28mm thick and are fitted with four-pot callipers. The 20-inch forged aluminium BBS wheels are shod with asymmetric Bridgestone tires: 265/35ZR20 at the front and 305/30ZR20 at the rear.
Airflow is precisely controlled over, under and around the car. A carbon fiber rear diffuser and flat underbody generate significant downforce, with an active rear wing, complete with a gurney flap on the leading edge, boosting the level further still. The cabin is hand-built, with driver-focused ergonomics. The seats, upholstered in fine leather and Alcantara, provide the high level of back and side support needed in a car capable of 200mph-plus performance.
The trim echoes the advanced materials used in the LFA's construction, with exposed areas of both matte and gloss carbon fiber. Trim details are finished in brushed metal and the floor-hinged brake as well as throttle pedals are made of forged aluminium. As with the exterior finish, owners can choose different interior colors and details to suit personal taste.